Friday, March 12, 2010

Catering to Our Needs.


If you search for a definition of "Catering" online or elsewhere (assuming you still own a book) you will find that there are only a few very simple definitions:


Noun
Catering (unaccountable)
The business of providing food and related services.

Verb
Catering
Present participle of cater

(Transitive, often with to) To provide things to satisfy a person or a need, to serve.
I always wanted someone to cater to my every whim.


In one way or another my life has always been about being a Verb. Raised Italian, Catholic and a Scorpio, it is no surprise that I have a deep need (of course it's a need) to "provide things that satisfy a person". Whether it is rooted in the guilt that we all shoulder being raised Italian, Catholic and a Scorpio or not, the end result is the same: If we're not satisfying someone else's needs...we're not satisfying our own.


This twisted reality results oftentimes (well at least with me) to a lack of focus on my own needs, on my own whims and ultimately to a life where one is lost in satisfying the needs and expectations of others at the expense of oneself.


Now let's be honest. Those of us afflicted with this approach to life are choosing this life. I've often said (despite wanting to have been James Bond) that in a previous life I must have been a Butler. My compulsive need to serve others has led me as they say "to become who I am". I could have been a lawyer, a good one. I could have been an actor (maybe not an Oscar winner)and "thank you ladies and gentleman for this Emmy". I wanted with every fiber of my being to be a writer, and now thanks to this digital medium...maybe I am.


My point, convoluted as it may seem is that here, now, at 38 years old, I'm redefining my approach. Re writing the mode of catering to my own needs.


Ironically enough, last night I was invited out with a friend (a woman, not my wife, but that's another story for another post) to an improvisational play entitled "Blind Date", by Rebecca Northan. The very talented Rebecca Northan goes on a "blind date" with a member of the audience, taking them through all of the ups and downs of a romantic relationship during the course of the 90 minute show. A new suitor every time allows the Calgary born actress to show off the improvisation skills she first learned at Loose Moose. You may recognize Northan from her role on CTV's Alice, I Think, but she has also earned five nominations at the Canadian Comedy Awards for female improviser of the year.
I'd encourage you to see this show if and when you are able for one simple reason, and for one purpose.

Northan taught me...or reminded me...of the most important and seemingly simple way to cater to your own needs. She says toward the end of the performance while re capping the events that just transpired: "Look at what happens in life when you just say Yes".
So in catering to my own needs (which by the way is a work in progress) I will try my best....to say Yes. Have a Wonderful day....and as always...Eat Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment